7 ways to use Instagram as a self-published author.
Authors and writers should not be wasting their precious time on Instagram, right?
When I published my book Win At Freelance Writing, I leveraged the audience I had built on Instagram – an audience of around 1000 people (a small audience) – to promote my book and hit number 1 new release on Amazon in two categories during that first week.
Knowing how to build your brand on Instagram can help you promote your self-published book.
In today’s podcast episode, I am talking about 7 ways you can use to promote your books as a self-published author.
Why you should be using Instagram as a self-published author
- It is a powerful visual platform.
- Instagram has over 1 billion monthly users – the truth is that you only need 1000 true fans to make meaningful money with your brand so this is a DEEP SEA to fish in!
- Instagram also has various ways for you to express yourself and build your brand. You can take advantage of:
- Feed posts – this includes 1-minute videos in the feed as well as static pictures
- Instagram stories
- Instagram live
- Instagram TV
- Instagram Reels
- Direct messaging on Instagram
I think of Instagram as an all-in-one platform that writers and authors should take advantage of starting right now.
The seven ways I have used Instagram to promote my books
When I launched Win At Freelance Writing, I used the following methods to promote my book.
- Allowing my audience to vote on book covers
- Using Instagram to build an email list
- Using screenshots of testimonials as social proof
- I used screenshots of the fact that I hit number one new release in multiple categories on Amazon
- Leveraging Instagram stories and feed videos
- I shared my book writing process
- I shared snippets of my book along the way in the form of quote graphics and mini-teaching sessions.
I discuss these in-depth in the podcast episode.
Resources mentioned in this episode
The Create and Prosper Shop – a curated digital product shop to help you make more money as a writer and author.
Win At Freelance Writing – a book by Gertrude Nonterah